International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Life Science
  • Printed Journal
  • Refereed Journal
  • Peer Reviewed Journal

International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Life Science

2020, Vol. 1, Issue 2, Part A

Evaluation of wound healing activity of flowers of Woodfordia fruticosa Kurz


Author(s): Yogesh T Sonawane, Sushil S Pmipare, Chetan A Chaudhari, Naveenkumar P Jain, SC Pal, Chhaya H Gadgoli, Vinod A Bairagi, Sunita A Govilkar and Aher Bhaskar

Abstract: Aim: Woodfordia fruticosa (Lythraceae) commonly called as ‘Dhatakipuspha’ in India. In Ayurveda, The fresh flower of W. fruticosa has been reported to stop bleeding in emergency cuts, while the dried flower powder to heal wounds more efficiently. Traditionally Woodfordia fruticosa Kurz is used in wound healing by tribes of Chhattisgarh, India. There was no scientific evidence justifying the use of Woodfordia fruticosa for treating wounds, therefore the present study was aimed at evaluation of wound healing activity of the plant. This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Materials and Methods: In the present study the flowers of Woodfordia fruticosa were studied for wound healing activity by incorporating the methanolic and total aqueous extract in simple ointment base B.P. in concentrations of 1% (w/w) and 2% (w/w). Ointments were also prepared using yashad bhasma (1.25% w/w) (equivalent zinc concentration 0.95% w/w) and yashad bhasma (0.625% w/w) (equivalent zinc concentration 0.45% w/w and 0.56% w/w) in combination with methanolic and total aqueous extract (1% w/w) in simple ointment base B.P. Wound healing activity was studied in the wound models in rats viz. excision and incision. In case of the excision wound model, wound contraction, period of epithelization and hydroxyproline content in the scab were studied, while incision wound model was evaluated by determining tensile strength of the newly formed skin.
Results: Treatment of wound with ointment containing 2% (w/w) the methanolic and total aqueous and yashad bhasma (0.625% w/w) in combination with the methanolic and total aqueous extract (1% w/w) exhibited significant (P < 0.001) wound healing activity. The activity of the formulation may be due to the tannins present in the methanolic and total aqueous extract and zinc ions from the yashad bhasma which play major role in wound healing process.
Conclusion: The methanolic and total aqueous extract exhibited good wound healing activity probably due to presence of tannins constituents and also due to presence of Zinc in Yashad bhasma.


DOI: 10.33545/27072827.2020.v1.i2a.11

Pages: 06-13 | Views: 244 | Downloads: 131

Download Full Article: Click Here
How to cite this article:
Yogesh T Sonawane, Sushil S Pmipare, Chetan A Chaudhari, Naveenkumar P Jain, SC Pal, Chhaya H Gadgoli, Vinod A Bairagi, Sunita A Govilkar, Aher Bhaskar. Evaluation of wound healing activity of flowers of Woodfordia fruticosa Kurz. Int J Pharmacognosy Life Sci 2020;1(2):06-13. DOI: 10.33545/27072827.2020.v1.i2a.11
International Journal of Pharmacognosy and Life Science